RE: SV: [OPE] Sraffa's and others' writing style

From: Anders Ekeland <anders.ekeland@online.no>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 15:15:08 EST

I cannot but interpret Gary's otherwise than as a certain support for
my general view that one should - for the advancement of
science/politics/the future of human kind try to engage with - be in
dialogue with other theories, try to situate your contribution in the
theoretical/political landscape. Not that you have to - it just helps a lot.

When it comes to why on earth Sraffa did not do that, why he one
published static - "stripped to the bones" version - I too can only
speculate - that following Ricardo (and maybe Wittgenstein in a
philosophical sense) that only a "static" model could say something
precise - however irrelevant it would be in describing the dynamic
reality of capitalism.

This is the fundamental problem of static economics - neo-classical
and Sraffian - either realistic and relevant "imprecise" or
irrelevant (in the neo-classical case, mainly ideological - that's
why this unscientific approach is so long-lived) and "precise".

But dynamic theory in economics is just as dynamic theory in weather
forecasting, scientifically correct, but given the chaotic nature of
the phenomena - not very good at prediction, not very "precise".

IMO the critical use of Sraffa's book - as a critique of marginalism
- long ago was overwhelmed by the landslide of irrelevant and
anti-dynamic, anti-Marxian linear algebra, Sinha's last article is
just such an excellent illustration of in what a sterile spot you end
up - when you do not want to see the static limitations of PoC.

Regards
Anders