RE: SV: [OPE] Sraffa's and others' writing style

From: Gary Mongiovi <MONGIOVG@stjohns.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 11:10:13 EST

I agree that Sraffa was not aiming to call the classical notion of gravitation into question. In Production of Commmodities he scrupulously avoided saying anything at all about gravitation, I suspect out of a Wittgensteinian desire to stick to issues about which one could speak with absolute precision. I don't think, given the present state of knowledge, that we can say anything definitive about his views on gravitation. We do know that he held the classicals in high esteem, and that fact would have to inform our speculations about the usefulness of the notion of gravitation.

A propos of earlier comments in this thread, Sraffa's original intention was to provide a fuller account of the classical political economy context of the book. But for reasons which remain murky, he decided to present a stripped-to-the-bone argument. I've discussed this a little bit in a paper that appeared in Metroeconomica a few years ago: “Classics and Moderns: Sraffa’s Legacy in Economics,” Metroeconomica (Vol. 53), 2002, pp. 223–241.

Regards,

Gary