[OPE] Anti-imperialism and nationalism

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 09:06:22 EST

David Yaffe wrote:

> The important point is surely the significance of their standpoint for
> understanding the development of Marxist thought on the issue of imperialism
> and national liberation etc. In that sense their standpoint is of enormous
> political significance for the future divisions in the international working
> class movement.

I would be interested to understand your position on this, as I have over
time become more skeptical to some of the arguments from
'anti-imperialists'. To put my concern bluntly:

   1. Do you think there are situations when the goals of 'national
   liberation' and 'social emancipation' are not identical?
   2. If so, which would have have higher priority?

My view of anti-imperialism of Third Worldist or 'Maoist' character is that
it tends to buy into the bourgeois ideology of nationalism too easily, with
its notions of 'the people', 'the nation' and 'national sovereignty'.

//Dave Z