RE: [OPE] Anti-imperialism and nationalism

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 14:42:15 EST

> My view of anti-imperialism of Third Worldist or 'Maoist' character
> is that it tends to buy into the bourgeois ideology of nationalism
> too easily, with its notions of 'the people', 'the nation' and
> 'national sovereignty'.

Hi Dave Z;

Important topic for discussion!

I think the question should be whether we should support Lenin's advocacy of self-determination for oppressed nations. This is related to (at least) three questions:

1. Lenin's theory of imperialism: e.g. is it still valid?

2. (related to the first question) Is it accurate in the present day
to assert that there is a division of the world between capitalist nations which are oppressor nations and ones which are oppressed?

3. What is the importance of self-determination for struggles by workers, peasants, and oppressed communities?