Re: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 05:17:39 EST

Dogan wrote:
> I do not know where you get these quotations from. They are certainly
> not in the paper I downloaded from the link you sent. Are they
> something you think you can conclude from the paper or quoted from
> somewhere else. From what I read from David I know he would never say
> something like that without further qualifying it.
I did not say they were quotations from the paper, I wrote that they
were the political *corollaries* of the analysis and line of argument
given in the paper.

The issue is not the author's intentions, which I will take for granted
are honest and good. The issue is (i) the validity of the analysis and
(ii) its political implications.

> This said I do not see anything wrong with David's article
Then what is your take on the theoretical problems and weakly supported
explanations that I tried to highlight previously?

(The failure to distinguish extra-economic coercion from the laws that
operate through the market; the cause of high real wages in the advanced
countries; the cause of higher wages within the professional
middle-class; the actual flows of money and goods between economies; the
domestic reproduction of the real wage vector; the extrapolation of the
British economy to all advanced or 'imperialist' economies and so on?)

//Dave Z