Re: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 19:26:40 EST

On 2009-12-30 22:46, Paul Cockshott wrote:
> The us could equally well have chosen to support the Arab states against Isreal at much lower economic cost were it not for the votes that would have been lost within the USA.

I think one has to take into account the boundary condition of this
trajectory. The growing support given by the US state apparatus to
Israel occurs after 1956 when Arab nationalism was at its zenith and
would risk that the former lost hegemonic control of the region.

The Israeli state is of course interested in support for its own project
of colonization, which is quite irrelevant to the US and indeed the
burden of this partnership has increased since all of the Arab states
have fallen in line. I would agree that for various reasons (electoral
politics, military contracts, etc.) it has become difficult for the US
state apparatus to break or even loosen the special privilege it gives
to the Israeli state rather than other subservient states in the region.

//Dave Z