RE: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 09:36:51 EST

> And what is the cut off
> point between 'advanced' and 'less advanced'?

Hi Paula:

Well, that's an interesting question. But, the point is
that there *IS* a cut-off point. That is, there is a
VERY REAL division in the capitalist world. Which words
you use to describe this division (e.g. North/South;
center/periphery; 1st world; 3rd world; developed/developing;
advanced capitalist; less advanced; industrialized/non-
industrialized, et al) reflect different theoretical positions
as does the unit of measurement (e.g. forces of production;
GDP; development indicators, et al). But, the REALITY of a
division should not be in dispute. This is, in actuality,
a historically-constituted division rather than only an abstraction
which is part of a larger theory.

> Again, for any
> indicator you use, you will need to explain what the cut off point is
> - and why.

Let's start from the reality rather than the unit of measurement and
the cut-off point. See above.

> An there's no such
> thing as rent and rentiers in imperialist nations?

Sure, but rent isn't the defining or distinguishing characteristic of imperialist nations. To the extent that it exists, it is marginal to
them.

> I hear many traders in
> Wall Street and in the City of London also have a reputation for conspicuous
> consumption. With so much 'harkening back to the early stages of capitalism',
> we'll soon have to conclude imperialism no
> longer exists.

Or you could conclude that some of the distinguishing characteristics between landowners and capitalists no longer exist.

Accumulate, accumulate....!