Re: [OPE] Credit

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Feb 10 2010 - 18:04:47 EST

> Do people agree that the reserve ratio rather than the equity ratio is
> what should be important?

Hi Paul C:

This really boils down to the issue of what abilities the central bank has
in practice to control
the supply of credit. The reserve ratio as such is only a single
'instrument' of monetary policy
which, in turns, relates to the commitment of the state to regulate the
supply of money and the
availabilility of credit. If the state wants, they can inflate, deflate,
bail out banks and corporations,
guarantee credit, etc. but, ultimately, different classes and/or class
segments have to pay for
these initiatives. The state itself, after all, has assets - an important
focus of struggle e.g. re
privatization. So, in answer to your question, I'm not sure - but I think
the question itself
would be better re-phrased and the issues themselves have to be spelled out
more, imo.

In solidarity, Jerry