RE: [OPE] Credit

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Feb 11 2010 - 15:34:39 EST

That is true enough, but what I am saying is that the risk of crisis does not depend on the equity ratio of the banks but the reserve ratio, since it is the reserve ratio that cushions them against random walks in the pattern of deposits and withdrawals.
If a bank, like Northern Rock a couple of years ago, becomes dependent on a small number of large depositors ( interbank deposits ) then the amplitude of such random walks will be much greater ( inverse to the square root of the number of depositors ). Under these circumstances random fluctuations can exceed reserves.
Equity ratios are important for a different reason -- cushion against bad debts.