Re: [OPE] Character masks

From: howard engelskirchen <he31@verizon.net>
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 20:40:02 EDT

Hi Jerry,

I don't have time to deal with this either just now, but let's put a pin in
it for when you return. I think the idea that Marx assumed particular masks
or roles at one level of abstraction and then relaxed them at a more
concrete level to allow for e.g. subjectivity is very wrong and I don't
think it is a method Marx followed at all, though I realize many Marxists
have assumed so. I think Marx's use of abstraction was as a verb, not a
noun. He abstracted from some things in order to focus analysis on other
particular real things, his search for the differentia specifica of value or
capital was a search for particular specificity.

howard