[OPE] Question about books that are sound introductions to economics

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Sep 06 2010 - 07:38:09 EDT

I am collaborating with a guy in Venezuela who is working on a project to introduce labour value accounting into the food supply chain there and he keeps asking me economics questions which I do my best to answer, but he has floored me with this one:
 "By the way, talking about economics. What books do you suggest I can read to deepen this topic (contemporary economy)? I was reading Samuelson and Nordhaus book."

How would list members respond. The guy is not trained in economics.