Re: [OPE] Question about books that are sound introductions to economics

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 16:47:24 EDT

Jerry wrote:
> The point, surely, should be to understand
> the social realities themselves and subject them to critique rather than
> just or primarily quibbling about the words themselves. Those who think
> that the recent period is simply capitalism and imperialism as usual are
> also
> being one-sided.

Yes, the point is to understand the social realities, but IMO much of the
Western left has been using the notion of 'neo-liberalism' to avoid doing
just that. In particular, to hide away from one of the most important trends
of our time, the rise of non-Western powers.

Look at the current dispute between Japan and China as an example.
Paula