Re: [OPE] Question about books that are sound introductions to economics

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 17:36:37 EDT

> Yes, the point is to understand the social realities, but IMO much of the
> Western left has been using the notion of 'neo-liberalism' to avoid doing
> just that. In particular, to hide away from one of the most important trends
> of our time, the rise of non-Western powers.
> Look at the current dispute between Japan and China as an example.

Hi Paula:

Well, it could be that we are entering a new period/conjuncture/regime
of accumulation/social structure of accumulation (take your pick or
substitute another designation in keeping with your theoretical perspective).
That's unclear (to me, at least) at the present time. But, some of the
hallmark policies of Neo-Liberalism such as privatization, de-regulation,
austerity, etc. (unfortunately) have relevance for most of the capitalist
world today, China included. The area where the 'Washington Consensus'
seems to be breaking down the most as present is in terms of trade
(no pun intended) policy. So, I think we're still in a Neo-Liberal period
but may be moving towards another one. This shouldn't be surprising: historically,
economic and social crises have often been the impetus for a new strategy for
capital and heightened rivalries among major capitalist nations.