Re: [OPE] Just published: THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION OF CRISIS (RPE, Vol. 26)

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 10:08:16 EST

Paul C.,

You didn't say so, but an asymptotic approach to zero is implied by your
presentation and your non-dispute of my reading of it. Following your
presentation, I asked:

    "why would the total profits remain at 10 billion, as the capital
stock falls from 100 to 95 and continues to fall to 50?

    "In your scenario, capitalists might as well only consume luxuries
as no drop in capital stock can harm profits (dropping thereby the
denominator to zero). That 10% depreciation falls toward 10% of 0. "

The denominator referred to is capital stock.

You had presented profits remaining at $10 billion as capital stock
falls from 100 through 95 to 50. Still, there is nothing in your
presentation which would could stop it at 50 or otherwise until we
approached zero capital stock. I think all you need to do is reexamine
your 11/29 presentation and extend it further.

Paul Z.

=====
(V23) HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11, Seven Stories Press, 2nd ed. softcover
(V24) TRANSITIONS IN LATIN AMERICA (V25) WHY CAPITALISM SURVIVES CRISES
(V26) THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION OF CRISIS
====> Research in Political Economy, Emerald Group, Bingley, UK
====> P.Zarembka, Ed., www.emeraldinsight.com/books.htm?issn=0161-7230
.