Re: [OPE] Just published: THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION O F CRISIS (RPE, Vol. 26)

From: Paul <clyder@gn.apc.org>
Date: Fri Dec 03 2010 - 10:26:15 EST

There need not be 5% less machines. If the productivity of labour is rising
at 5% a year, the existing machines will be getting cheaper, thus £5billion
will buy more machinery this year than it did 20 years ago when the worn out
machines were bought. If we take the entirely made up figures I gave, a 5% a
year fall in the value of machines produces the following result over a 20
year depreciation period.

depreciation expenditure

price per machine

Number machines

net present value of old machine

5000000000

10000

500000

9500

0

9500

0

8550

0

9025

0

7671

0

8574

0

6859

0

8145

0

6109

0

7738

0

5416

0

7351

0

4778

0

6983

0

4190

0

6634

0

3649

0

6302

0

3151

0

5987

0

2694

0

5688

0

2275

0

5404

0

1891

0

5133

0

1540

0

4877

0

1219

0

4633

0

927

0

4401

0

660

0

4181

0

418

0

3972

0

199

5000000000

3774

1325017

0

Suppose all figures are given in working days of labour value, and assume
that an average industrial machine embodied 10000 working days at the start
of the 20 year period. A depreciation expenditure of 5 billion working days
will at the start buy 500,000 machines. A 5% annual increase in labour
productivity means that 20 years later 5billion working days will purchase
132,000 machines.

What we are saying here is not totally novel. Dumeniel and Levy attributed
part of the profit recovery

In the US during the 80s and 90s to moral depreciation of the existing
capital stock arising from the microprocessor revolution which meant that
much less capital had to be tied up in computing machinery to achieve the
same productive effect.