Re: [OPE] Digital investor worlds

From: Anders Ekeland <aekeland@online.no>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 02:47:55 EST

Very interesting, but this is no Mandel-like "thinking robots" - this is just plain old expert systems. What the article confirms is what a crasy, wastful world the Wall street is:

"But at its worst, it is an inscrutable and uncontrollable feedback loop. Individually, these algorithms may be easy to control but when they interact they can create unexpected behaviors?a conversation that can overwhelm the system it was built to navigate. On May 6, 2010, the Dow Jones Industrial Average inexplicably experienced a series of drops that came to be known as the flash crash, at one point shedding some 573 points in five minutes. Less than five months later, Progress Energy, a North Carolina utility, watched helplessly as its share price fell 90 percent. Also in late September, Apple shares dropped nearly 4 percent in just 30 seconds, before recovering a few minutes later."

Do anyone belive that a drop of the value of Apple of 4% in over a period of a couple of minutes has anything to do with economic reality, not to speak of Progress Energy.

I think it is clear to any sane person that the fluctiations in stock prices are for the most part completely disconnected from economic reality.

We should demand that the stock exchange was only open a day a month, or maby eack quarter in order to bust the myth that continuous trading has any economic rationale. Imortant also to delegitimize that obscene incomes fromt this kind of 99% useless - 0 sum - rentseeking activity.

Regards
Anders E