[OPE] Further evidence RE: Marx, slavery and the South

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2011 - 21:48:52 EST

Further evidence of a problem with Marx's argument is the following:

      "Capitalism advanced in the South [after 1865], both in industry
and agriculture, but without any special technological feature.... It
was, however, the cotton-textile industry that became the principal
industrial engine of capitalist growth. By the 1890s, New England
textile mills began to close shop and move to the South. The magnet for
such movement was the availability of a great reservoir of cheap
labor---the poor whites. The rulers of the post-Civil War South---more
or less the same ones who had ruled before the war---still controlled
cotton agriculture. Vital to continuation of that control was command
over the labor of the emancipated enslaved workers. To have staffed the
textile mills with these workers would have created a competition
between farm and cotton mill; wages would surely have risen. Thus, poor
whites were employed: They were told the new jobs were exclusively
designed for them; blacks were not permitted to work in the mills."
(Meyer Weinberg, A Short History of American Capitalism, p. 145; on in
the middle of Chapter 7: http://www.newhistory.org )

That is, cotton production continued in the South produced by ex-slaves.

Although I don't know whether deteriorating soil was overcome or what

www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~20710~550098:Crop-and-per-capita-production,-189

provides cotton production by state. The total in 1891-92 was 9 million
bales (2.3 million in Texas, the largest) compared to 5 million in 1860.

One has to wonder, given this evidence, at Marx's (materialist) argument
that confining slavery to the South (the platform of the 1860 Republican
party) would have implied its end due to economic/agronomic reasons.

Paul Z.

P.S. Thanks, Jurrian for the below and your private message.

=====
(V23) HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11, Seven Stories Press, 2nd ed. softcover
(V24) TRANSITIONS IN LATIN AMERICA (V25) WHY CAPITALISM SURVIVES CRISES
(V26) THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION OF CRISIS
====> Research in Political Economy, Emerald Group, Bingley, UK
====> P.Zarembka, ed., www.emeraldinsight.com/books.htm?issn=0161-7230
====> or www.buffalo.edu/~zarembka
.