Re: [OPE] Further evidence RE: Marx, slavery and the South

From: paul bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 05:49:59 EST

PZ asked me what was the main argument/point i assumed in my last note:

It is that slaves were both more expensive and less flexible than wage
labour

(Nb. Modern research shows the equivalent current cost of a slave is about
$40,000+ whilst a child can be bought from Haiti for $50-70 today. Ref
supplied)

All the rest becomes secondary. Slaves were use because 'free labour'
simply wasn't available, Mr Weston's problem.

Once it was, once a real proletariat (poor white and emancipated blacks).

The rest of the debate has to be seen in this context.

PB.