Re: [OPE] free competition

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2011 - 18:56:19 EDT

> When people think in absolutist, either/or ways, they quickly come to absurd
> conclusions, such as that "free competition is an ideological construct".

Paula:

The concept of "free competition" is indeed an ideological construct as should be
clear from the generally-accepted definitions of the expression which I reproduced
in a previous post. No amount of evasions about "absolutist" thinking can avoid
this conclusion.

> So Marx was quite right
> to note that "monopoly produces competition, competition produces monopoly".

I didn't take issue with that. Instead, I exposed the ideological character
of the concept of 'free competition'.

> And Lenin was thinking in the same dialectical way when he saw that
> imperialism, the epoch of monopoly capitalism, is an epoch of enhanced
> competition.

And neither Lenin nor Marx said that "free competition" exists or
existed, did they?