[OPE-L:1717] Re: Defining & understanding the accumulation of

Paul Zarembka (ecopaulz@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu)
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 14:58:48 -0700

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Duncan K Foley wrote:

> ...Maybe if you could
> give an example of a "theoretical definition" in the sense you want, it
> would help.
> >
> > When you write that accumulation is "co-extensive with the reproduction of
> > capitalist social relations on larger scale..." what does co-extensive mean?
> > What is it other than increase in c AND v, more work hours working with
> > more means of production? I mean the DEFINITION, not what causes or
> > effects expanded c AND v.
> >
> > Is this clearer?
> >
> > Paul Z.

Ok, how about this defintion--accumulation of capital is increase in the
amount of labor hours purchased by capital, accompanied by a required
purchase of additional means of production (the former measured by v and
the latter measured by c)? In other words, it is exactly an expansion of
capitalist social relations of production.

I believe this definition corresponds with Marx's chapter, "The
Conversion of Surplus Value into Capital" in Volume 1.

Paul Z.