[OPE-L:2997] RE: Developing Marx

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 03:35:06 -0700 (PDT)

Andrew wrote in [OPE-L:2996]:

> Since you already know that you aren't in sympathy with this effort, what's
> the use? And why the scare-quotes around *Marx's* Marxism?

(1) Sympathy
========
I didn't say that I was not in sympathy with the effort to develop
Marx. What I said -- repeatedly -- is that we as part of the process
of investigation are required to critically evaluate all existing
thought -- including that of Marx. I also said that Marx himself
*never* suggested that he had "completed" his work and that he
*never* asked others to uncritically accept "Marx's Marxism" (more
later).

(2) "Marx's Marxism"
================
To use quotation marks around a phrase that someone else used can not
reasonably be interpreted as the use of "scare quotes." Since you have
repeatedly quoted the expressions of others, should we interpret your
use of quotes as "scare-quotes"?

As you have repeatedly emphasized, there are different interpretations
of Marx. What, then, does the expression "*Marx's* Marxism" mean
especially since Marx explicitly said that he was not a Marxist?

(3) What's the use?
===============
You made the claim that you wanted to develop Marx's Marxism in
[OPE-L:2993]. It was, therefore, entirely legitimate for me to pose
the question I did in [OPE-L:2995]. That is, since that is your aim,
it is legitimate to ask "what specifically are the directions that
you believe need developing ...."

What's the use? By answering that question, you would express your
willingness to engage in a dialogue with others on the list on the
topic of "developing Marx". Perhaps you might be able to convince
others on some point or perhaps you could be able to learn something
from that dialogue.

We've recently had what Bruce called on Sunday "fascinating
discussions" on the Okishio Theorem. Recently, many members on the
list wrote serious and lengthy posts on that topic. Yet, that thread
was essentially suspended after [OPE-L:2993] and no one other than
myself responded to your post. If you want to continue the *dialogue*,
I provided you in [OPE-L:#2995] with a way to do so. If you don't have
the time now to respond, that is understandable since we are all busy
people. But, if your answer remains "what's the use?", that indicates
to others that you are withdrawing from the discussion on this
question. If you wish to do so, that is your prerogative. However, I
fail to see how you or other TSSers would benefit from such a move.

In OPE-L Solidarity,

Jerry