[OPE-L:3257] Re: Marxian Emprical Research

Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:03:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Iwao Kitamura wrote:

> The problem I pointed is rather purely theoretical. Is training
> [1] a production of use value that adds value creating power
> to simple labor-power or
> [2] just adds (transfers) its value to labor-power?

I go for [2]. "Adding value-creating power to simple
labour-power" seems to make "value-creation" into a strange
metaphysical process. What matters is the _total_ direct
plus indirect labour-time required to produce things. If
the production of X requires specially trained labour, one
has to count the indirect contribution of both the teacher
and the trainee expended in acquiring the skill, besides the
direct labour-time of the skilled worker.

Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics
Wake Forest University