[OPE-L:3736] Average Commodity

aramos@aramos.b (aramos@aramos.bo)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 08:07:28 -0800 (PST)

A couple of questions to Allin and Paul:

(A) In OPE-L 3700, Allin writes:

> > Alejandro:
> > If points "1)" and "2)" were CAUSES or SOURCES of deviation
> > between production prices and values they cannot "act" in
> > the case of the average commodity. This is clear because
> > in the average commodity there is not difference AT ALL
> > between value and production price.

> Allin:
> Here we have a substantive disagreement. I hold that price
> of production will not -- in general -- equal value, for a
> commodity produced by a capital of average composition in
> money terms, if there is a price-value deviation in the
> means of production for such a commodity...

My question:

Could you please indicate me the place(s) in Marx's text
where is maintained that, in the case of "average
commodity", production price is not equal to value?

(B) In OPE-L 3701, Paul writes:

>Ramos
>
>>If points "1)" and "2)" were CAUSES or SOURCES of
>>deviation between production prices and values they
>> cannot "act" in the case of the average commodity. This
>> is clear because in the average commodity there is not
>> difference AT ALL between value and production price.
>> So, neither "cause 1)" nor "cause 2)" could act in the
>> case of average commodity.

> Paul C:
> it depends upon how you define the average commodity.
> If the average commodity has an average value organic
> composition you would be right, if on the other hand
> it has an average price organic composition, there remains
> the possibility that constant capital used in it has
> been purchased above or below its value.

My questions:

Could you please indicate me the place(se) in Marx's text
where he presents this "duplication" of the concept of
"organic composition of capital"?

Specifically, where are the notions of "average value
organic composition" and "average price organic
composition" presented?

Alejandro Ramos M.
30.11.96