[OPE-L:4618] Re: Four-cornered triangle

Iwao Kitamur (ikita@st.rim.or.jp)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 06:40:25 -0800 (PST)

Michael P. wrote in [4616]:
>Maybe so, but please tell me how I can measure the amount of abstract
>labor in a process in which you have some very skilled people working
>alongside less skilled workers.

I think the most basic notion of quantity of abstact labor is the quantity of
the physiological expenditure of human power.(re 1.kapitel )
The core problem is that its quantity isn't a scalar quantity, is it?
If it isn't and we may express it as a vector, we have to assume a social
process (Oh! I don't like this word) that maps those vectors to scalar
quantities.

a set of elements of physiological expenditure of human power
-> (social process = a mapping) -> a scalar quantity

IMHO, the additional quantity that a skilled labor creates more than a simple
labor does doesn't come from its increase in productivity but its increase in
socially determined scalar quantity mapped from their physiological expenditure
of human power. It may differ upper or lower from the cost of the training etc.

in solidarity,

Iwao