[OPE-L:4619] Re: Four-cornered triangle

Michael Perelma (michael@ecst.csuchico.edu)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 07:22:05 -0800 (PST)

andrew kliman wrote:

> According to Marx, the more complex abstract labor COUNTS, with respect to
> value production, as a multiple of simple abstract labor. So to measure the
> amount of value produced, one would need to know all these multipliers. Good
> luck. But to measure the ACTUAL amount of abstract labor expended, a
> stopwatch is basically sufficient (given equal intensities of work).

The first part of Andrew's sentence is key to my query, as he knows. I
am not sure what the stopwatch measures. I can count hours of labor,
but how am I counting hours of abstract labor without knowing how much
to count the abstract labor.

Andrew, you apologize for being nit picky, but that is not the issue.
Maybe there is a semantic misunderstanding on my part.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321