[OPE-L:4620] Re: Four-cornered triangle

Michael Perelma (michael@ecst.csuchico.edu)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 07:41:09 -0800 (PST)

Iwao Kitamura wrote:

> a set of elements of physiological expenditure of human power
> -> (social process = a mapping) -> a scalar quantity
>
> IMHO, the additional quantity that a skilled labor creates more than a simple
> labor does doesn't come from its increase in productivity but its increase in
> socially determined scalar quantity mapped from their physiological expenditure
> of human power. It may differ upper or lower from the cost of the training etc.

Iwao, I have seen the argument made both ways: the scaler represents the
quantity of training or the extra productivity. The training solution
runs into the same problem as the problem of measuring constant
capital. Suppose that I am trained to have a skill that his specific to
the production of slide rules. For a number of years, my training is
validated by the realization of value by the slide rule makers.
Suddenly, with electronic calculators, my training is less valuable.

Still puzzled,

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department