[OPE-L:4715] Re: the determination of real wages---- and a

Gerald Lev (glevy@pratt.edu)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:25:43 -0700 (PDT)

Patrick wrote in [OPE-L:4714]:

> 2. Nevertheless, real wages in nearly every capitalist country have
> increased from the late 1880s through the mid-1970s.
> Hence, the important question is, "Does Marx's theory allow for the
> possibility of rising real wages." Clearly, it does.

In all due respect (IADR), I don't think that the important question is
whether Marx's theory allows for the _possibility_ of rising real wages.
Rather, the "important question", from my perspective, is identifying
and developing the determinants of the real wage and wage differentials.

> 8. I would like to know if Ajit or some others on the list have anything
> they wish to say on the issue of wage differentials.

I do! ... but it may take me a little while to get around to finding the
time to make a meaningful contribution on that subject.

In solidarity, Jerry