[OPE-L:6230] RE: Marx and historical costs

Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:26:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, andrew kliman wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 98 21:49:20 UT
> From: andrew kliman <Andrew_Kliman@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
> To: ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu
> Subject: RE: Marx and historical costs
>
> A reply to the PIAF:
>
> ----------

Andrew, these two cases are not comparable. In the "revenue"
case, Marx once explicitly defined revenue as the difference
between the price of output of one period and the costs of
production in the next period. In the "historical cost" case,
Marx never explicitly said that, in the case of technological
change, constant capital is valued at historical costs. And he
said the opposite (constant capital is valued at current costs)
many times.

But, as I just said in my response to Jurriaan's question, there
are still some open related questions which I intend to continue to
think about and discuss. Maybe there can be more agreement on
these questions.

Comradely,
Fred

P.S. My main point about "revenue" still stands: even though
Marx did use the term revenue in the above sense in one
passage, this passage had nothing to do with the transformation
problem. In all of Marx's discussion of the transformation
problem (or the determination of prices of production), Marx
never used this concept. Andrew's interpretation of the
transformation problem depends crucially on this concept of
revenue, which is not to be found in Marx's writings on the
subject.