[OPE-L:6511] Re: [OPE] What is prior?

Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 12:45:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Alan Freeman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:01:13 +0200
> From: Alan Freeman <a.freeman@greenwich.ac.uk>
> To: ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu
> Subject: Re: [OPE] What is prior?
>
> I enthusiastically agree that something must be created before it is
> distributed, also with or without temporal gaps. So I can add an
> exclamation mark of my own.
>
> However, an obvious further question follows: can the thing, once created,
> be altered as a consequence of being distributed?
>
> With or without temporal gaps.
>
> Alan

Fred replies:

Marx assumed that the total amount of surplus-value is not affected by its
distribution. For example:

The total surplus value, as well as total profit, which is only
surplus value itself computed differently, CAN NEITHER GROW NOR
DECREASE THROUGH THIS OPERATION, EVER. (Grundrisse, p. 760;
emphasis added).

It is clear from the context that "this operation" refers to the
distribution of surplus value through the equalization of profit rates
and the determination of prices of production. This is the fundamental
premise of the entire analysis in Volume 3, as I have documented in my
two papers refereed to in recent posts.

Alan, do you agree or disagree?

Comradely,
Fred