[OPE-L:38] [OPE-L:267] Re: Alienation - new and old fashions

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 07:53:39 -0500 (EST)

Chris A wrote in [OPE-L:265]:

> The topic is so unfashionable I do not believe that there has been
> anything since my own book: *Dialectics of Labour* C. J. Arthur
> (Blackwell 1986).

Why has the topic of alienation become "unfashionable" among Marxists?

[Additional references for Anders: The following have useful bits on this
topic:

Rob Beamish _Marx, Method, and the Division of Labor_, Urbana
and Chicago, University of Illinois Press, 1992
Tony Smith (Hi Tony! How have you been? Don't you have anything to say
about equivalence and equality?) _Dialectical Social Theory and its
Critics: From Hegel to Analytical Marxism and Postmodernism_, Albany,
State University of New York Press, 1993
Tony Smith _The Logic of Marx's Capital: Replies to Hegelian Criticisms_
Albany, State University of New York Press, 1990]

In solidarity, Jerry