[OPE-L:7160] [OPE-L:667] Re: I'm my own brother!

C. J. Arthur (cjarthur@pavilion.co.uk)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:38:07 +0000

Four points:
1. Sexism is showing - the relation 'brother to' is transitive but not
symmetrical because I am brother to my sister but she is not brother to me.
2. it is often held that relexivity is deducible from transitivity and
symmetry as follows
by symmetry we have aRb and bRa
then by transitivity if aRb and bRa then aRa.
According to Russell's discussion (Principles of Mathematics pp218ff) Peano
objected to this that there may not be a 'b' so the proof falls.
3. In one of his examples Russell seems prepared to accept a man can be his
own brother but this seems to me to be mad so I think this is a good
counter-example to the generality of deducing reflexivity.
4. In relation to the more general discussion Russell argues as follows:
As an axiom I hold the principle of abstraction according to which "Every
transitive symmetrial relation, of which there is at least one instance ,
is analysable into joint possession of a new relation to a new term, the
new relation being such that no term can have this relation to more than
one term, but that its converse does not have this property."....in common
language that transitive symmetrial relations arise from a common
proerty....It gives precise statement to the principle that symmetrical
transitive relations always arise from identity of content.
However it is clear to me that in our case this common property is that of
value in the first instance, and additional argument is required to assert
the substance of value is labour. As it stands this value could be the
result of the intersection of preference schedules.
In my view the key move is when with the capital form we reach a relation
in whcih value is its own end.

Chris Arthur