[OPE-L:7161] [OPE-L:668] Re: Market Values and Market Prices

John R. Ernst (ernst@PIPELINE.COM)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:19:46

Jerry,

Thanks for noting my "interesting question." Perhaps someday
it will be addressed.

You're right market values are discussed in Vol. III, Ch. 10.
In doing so, Marx also introduces the role demand plays in
the formation of market values. To examine the manner in
which demand is both the effect and cause of changes in
market value we need to deal with the accumulation process
itself. Can we do this?

As long as we insist on measuring profitability as though
fixed capital does not exist or, put another way, with a
simple rate of profit calculation, the movements of capital
from one sector to another in response to changes in
profitability will appear mysterious. That is, to understand
market values and market prices and their roles in the
accumulation process, we need to take into account how capitalists
measure profitability.

John