[OPE-L:7231] [OPE-L:756] Re: Re: abstract labour

Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:28:35 -0500 (EST)

Since everything here turns on the most exact phrasing, I should not say
the following off the top of my head, but here goes something of what I
learned from that Blake textbook (which in my opinion is the only one that
pays sufficient attention to the conceptual foundations of Marx's theory):

Labor by its very nature does not produce value; only abstract labor does.
The latter is not reducible to quanta of energy either. Abstract labor
produces value only due to the social reason of determinate class
contradictions, viz. production for private profit, such that the the value
of a commodity or the social labor that it represents can only be
represented by way of or in the use value of another commodity. There would
be no value if production were directly social; the value form of the
commodity is thus the stamp of a historically specific mode of
production--Marx makes clear that the classical economists had no sense of
this. The concrete labor that produces the latter commodity (the one in
the use value of which the value of other commodities is expressed) is thus
also immediately the incarnation of universal human labor. Marx analyzes
other peculiarities of the value form. The analysis of these peculiarities
or absurdities (as Robert Paul Wolff has put it) is doubtless intended to
produce some kind of alienation effect from the way we go about organizing
our social labor.

Marx also had no intention of proving the labor theory of value by
deduction. Only if the laws of motion he theorized on the basis of his
theory of value developed out of his analysis of the commodity are
empirically confirmed would Marx proven the labor theory of value.

Yours, Rakesh