[OPE-L:7588] [OPE-L:1142] Re: Re: monetary inflows versus capital accumulation

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 15:17:22 EDT

Dear Fred,
It seems to me much more likely that the US stock market will not be
brought down by a loss of confidence in the US economy or worries about
the unsustainability of the current account deficit but rather by a
sell off of US securities by the Japanese banking system in desperate need
to recapitalize in accordance with Basel requirements. The recent merger
wave in the Japanese banking system may have done little to
write off non performing assets; indeed they may have been only better
hidden and carried over. The time bomb is still ticking. It seems to me
that the focus on the weakness of the US is misplaced. If Japan sells off
US securities it will not be due to a loss of confidence in the US but a
breakdown in its banking system. My daily cursory reading of the WSJ
suggests to me that this is the much greater threat presently.
Yours, Rakesh