[OPE-L:1178] Re: The Material World

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 21:40:16 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:58:46 +0100
From: Michael J Williams <michael@williamsmj.screaming.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu>
To: <ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 1:34 PM
Subject: [OPE-L:1154] The Material World

> >From a materialist perspective, aren't *all* services 'material'?

Yes - that is what I intended. I agree with most of what Jerry says

> Somehow the alleged dichotomy between "material" and "physical" itself
> strikes me as somewhat metaphysical ... or in the case of "physicalist"
> interpretations, somewhat "vulgar materialist".

But I do think there is a sustainable distinction to be made between
physical and material. As with 'abstractions' (and even assumptions) I do
not seek to eliminate metaphysics, but to

And I apologise for getting a bit stroppy.

Michael
Dr Michael Williams
Economics and Social Sciences
De Montfort University
Milton Keynes
UK

[This message may be in html, and any attachments may be in MSWord 97. If
you have difficulty reading either, please let me know.]