[OPE-L:1183] Re: Re: The Material World

From: Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 11:36:58 EDT

Jerry discussed with Michael Williams as follows:

>> >From a materialist perspective, aren't *all* services 'material'?
>
>Yes - that is what I intended. I agree with most of what Jerry says

>From Marx's point of view this is not so. For instance, take the service of
a Priest. A priest performs from Marx's point of view a non-material service.

Incidentally there is nothing wrong with metaphysics. The best scientists
require or engage in metaphysical theorising. I refer you to (for instance)
the book by (I think) Stefan Amsterdamski, Between Experience and
Metaphysics (or was that Between mataphysics and experience). Anyway it was
published by Reidel.

Cheers

Jurriaan