[OPE-L:1217] Re: Advertising and productive labour

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 08:44:35 EDT

Jurriaan wrote in [OPE-L:1216]:

> <snip> people who say the
> labour exchanged against capital producing services are productive,
> commodity producing labour,

In fairness, I think that the words "can be" should be substituted for the
word "are" above. This is a rather important distinction (see below).

> also want to argue that labour involved in
> advertising, though exchanged against capital, is never productive. This
> seems to be more a personal prejudice, taste or predilection than
> rational economic thought.

It is only "personal prejudice, taste or predilection" if one views the
question of what types of activities create value in those terms.

>From my perspective (and I think that of Marx), to be counted as
productive labour, labor must not _only_ be exchanged against capital.
Additionally, that labour must be creative of value and surplus value.

Is it your position that advertising labour is (or can be) creative of
surplus value?

In solidarity, Jerry