[OPE-L:1232] Re: Re: Re: Advertising and productive labour

From: Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 06:52:42 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:

>The unproductive nature of advertising is not a matter of taste, it is
>objective.
>Failure to see this comes from looking at the issue from the standpoint
>of one firm rather than the industry or economy as a whole.

I appreciate your critique of the advertising business, its irrationality
and so on. It seems to me though that you are looking at it from the
standpoint of two firms rather than from the standpoint of the economy as a
whole. To repeat, advertising firms also produce commodities (as well as
unproductive services), which other firms buy. The commodity producing
labour involved is surely productive, although we may not like the product
they produce. It is a moot point whether broadcasted messages are
commodities - I tended to take the view that the video's are commodities
but the actual broadcast of them is not.

In solidarity

Jurriaan