[OPE-L:1235] Re: Re: Re: Advertising and productive labour

From: zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 09:29:50 EDT

On 09/15/99 at 11:27 AM, Jurriaan Bendien <djjb99@worldonline.nl> said:

>On the whole, your critique is more based on moral considerations than on
>economic reality I think. To repeat, many products are produced under
>capitalism which are not good for people. Yet they are commodities like
>any other, produced under the capital relationship, hence productive of
>surplus-value.

Advertising of Coke and Pepsi is not a use value and therefore is not a
commodity. It has no more use value than hiring a worker to dig a hole
and refill it (Keynes' example). This is not a moral question, as far as
I am concerned (at least for this example which I'd like to stay with
until we have cleared the topic of advertising or agreed to disagree).
Paul

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka