[OPE-L:1457] Re: RE: Re: Re: Mandel, Mattick, etc.

Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:24:19 +0100

Response to Trigg:

I have not read all of Callinicos's books, only some of them. I think he is
very good on social theory, but when he discusses people who don't belong
to his sect but to another (competing) party then it mostly becomes a
nonsense, a sectarian villification. So I don't pay much attention to it,
it has nothing to do with science or scholarship but with political
vendetta's. Personally I have criticisms too of Ernest's conceptualisation
of capitalist crises, but I have not written that up yet, so I cannot show
you a statement of my views. In some ways I am closer to Anwar Shaikh's
conception. But I agree with Ernest that the rate of profit is not the only
thing to consider in understanding capitalist crises, and that in the real
world many forces interact to produce recession or depression. So, there is
no mechanical pattern for each and every crisis, or even a
necessary/logical sequence of events. We can build a "model" of a typical
crisis pattern, but it is only a model and not the reality, which may
diverge from the model.

In solidarity

Jurriaan.