[OPE-L:1474] Re: RE: Re: Re: Mandel, Mattick, etc.

Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:24:59 +0100

Hi Andrew

> I think if people are out to beat you up for the colour of your skin or not
>even that, then they should be stopped from spreading their poison. It is
>well known that when fascists start selling their literature and organising
>meetings in an area then the number of racist attacks increase, and this
>cannot be defeated just by intellectual argument.

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

>In relation to Len Pen I think his gaining support is arguably directly due
>to the weakness of the left, and in particular the small numbers of the
>Trotskyist left in France.

Do you think the Left is stronger in Britain than in France ? Or are you
specifically talking about the far Left ?

 But it is interesting to hear of fascism being
>against the law in Holland, which I did not know.

As far as I am aware, you can entertain fascist ideas in Holland. That is a
democratic right. However, there are severe legal strictures on public
behaviour which has a racist or fascist connotation.

In solidarity

Jurriaan