[OPE-L:1588] Re: Re: Althusser and Hegel

Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:41:16 +0100

Jerry wrote:

>For the record, I don't share Jurriaan's judgment on Althusserianism.
>Even though I have a different methodological perspective, I have always
>believed that Althusserians are Marxists.

Having cooled down a little and more carefully reconsidered this question,
I concede Jerry is correct, whatever my very strong reservations about
Althusser's work and life. Althusser's work imo is a mixture of genuine
innovation/insight and total bunk, and I ought to keep what is valid from
Althusser and discard the bunk. And if I am honest, then I have to admit I
owe Althusser a certain intellectual debt, insofar as reading his book with
Etienne Balibar was one of the factors which motivated me to begin to study
"Capital" in 1979-80, and reading "Capital" vastly improved my
understanding of the social question, of critical philosophy and of
economic science.

In solidarity

Jurriaan