[OPE-L:1852] Re: Re: A Review of Lapides' Marx's Wage theory

Subject: [OPE-L:1852] Re: Re: A Review of Lapides' Marx's Wage theory
From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 08:09:44 EST

The immiseration thesis has always been something of a curiosity to me,
also. The only thing that I recall seing by Marx that could close occurs in
"Wages, Prices, and Profit." In that tract, Marx does seem to be arguing
for an increasing rate of exploitation. But, in the volume one of capital
Marx also points out that the countries with the highest rate of
exploitation also have the highest wage rates. So, I think Lapides is
correct is saying that there is no immiseration thesis in Marx. Writing
simplistily, I would characteristized Marx macro and micro theory as follows:

wage = f(ability to pay, ability to make pay),

where the job is the unit of analysis.

ability to pay = g(competitive characteristics of the firm, characteristics
of the workforce),
ability to make pay = h(relative power of labor v. capital).

So, class struggle matters but it's not all that matters. There are
competitive limits of wages.

Nevertheless, identical workers may receive differential pay for doing the
same work because they make be employed at jobs that are differentiated by
the ability of firms to pay and the ability of workers to make firms pay.

Also, at the aggregate level, if both the ability to pay is rising over
time and the ability to make pay is not falling then the average wage will
rise. There is no necessity of immiseration.

peace, patrick l mason