[OPE-L:1857] Re: Re: Re: A Review of Lapides' Marx's Wage theory

Subject: [OPE-L:1857] Re: Re: Re: A Review of Lapides' Marx's Wage theory
From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 06:17:58 EST

Patrick L. Mason wrote:

> The immiseration thesis has always been something of a curiosity to me,
> also. The only thing that I recall seing by Marx that could close occurs in
> "Wages, Prices, and Profit." In that tract, Marx does seem to be arguing
> for an increasing rate of exploitation. But, in the volume one of capital
> Marx also points out that the countries with the highest rate of
> exploitation also have the highest wage rates. So, I think Lapides is
> correct is saying that there is no immiseration thesis in Marx.

Patrick, see my response to Paul Z on the question of the so-called immiseration
thesis. I think you are jumping too quickly on to a wrong conclusion by
associating Marx's statement about high exploitation and high wages. All Marx is
saying is that s/v is generally higher in more advanced capitalist countries
compared to poor countries (s/v is lower in poor countries simply because of the
low level of productivity of labor). He, however, in no sense relating higher
wages to higher productivity. Cheers, ajit sinha
_________