(OPE-L) A.D. Magaline and Ernest Mandel

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 14:38:31 EST

> In my judgment, one could spend a lifetime on the production of relative
> surplus value, the evaluation/devaluation of constant capital, and the
> implications for a overall rate of profit, even apart from unproductive
> labor (which is not to say that the latter is not an important
> consideration).  I repeat my belief that Magaline is a great starting
> point.

Paul Z,

Another great starting point on the same topics (and others as well)
is Mandel's _Late Capitalism_.   In addition to its review of the
literature (up until its date of publication, of course) it also
has a significant historical and empirical review that is very
useful as a starting point for further research and study, imo.
Like much of Luxemburg's books, alas, it seems to be largely forgotten
today.  It is very ambitious in scope and content -- especially when
compared to the works of a contemporary such as Paul Mattick, Sr.

In solidarity, Jerry