[OPE-L] a new year's resolution

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 21:39:07 EST

Dear Friends and Comrades,
        I have not participated substantially for a while on the original
focus of this list (extending and developing Marx's political
economy)--- in part because of other demands and in part because of
alternative forms for doing this. So, my departure at this time will
not be a significant loss, and it will make less difficult a decision
before the Administrative Committee.
        I especially want to thank Jerry for his work on this list and
resent very much the scurrilous attacks by Rakesh upon Jerry's
administration of the list, attacks which produced the creation of
the AC. I am very sorry and indeed ashamed that I did not take an
active role in confronting this behaviour because it continued and
continued. Another type of liberalism that should be combated,
comrades--- the 3rd type, in fact: 'To let things drift if they do
not affect one personally; to say as little as possible while knowing
perfectly well what is wrong, to be worldly wise and play safe and
seek only to avoid blame.'
        I have appreciated many of the exchanges on the list and have
learned from them (but hope that I will not be accused of plagiarism
in the future as others have been).
                best wishes,
                michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela.
NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBERS
Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-6333, 571-1520, 571-3820 (or hotel cell: 0412-200-7540)
fax: (58-212) 573-7724