[OPE-L:2717] RRPE Call for Papers on David Gordon (fwd)

glevy@pratt.edu
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:18:12 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:10:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Robert Pollin <Pollin@mail.ucr.edu>
Subject: [PEN-L:5201] RRPE Call for Papers on David Gordon

Please look over the notice below, circulate it among associates, and post
it on other networks as you wish. We in URPE hope to make this special
issue a lasting tribute to David.

Bob Pollin

CALL FOR PAPERS:
RRPE SPECIAL ISSUE IN HONOR OF DAVID M. GORDON

The death of David Gordon last March was a great loss to radical political
economy. Both as a creative researcher and a dedicated teacher, David was a
major contributor to building the U.S. tradition in radical political
economy for the past 25 years. David was also a founding member and
long-time activist in The Union for Radical Political Economics (URPE). We
envision the special issue of URPE's journal the Review of Radical Political
Economics (RRPE) as a means of honoring David in the way he would have most
appreciated: through extending, critically analyzing, and rigorously
debating the major themes of his research work. David was both highly
prolific and wide-ranging in his research interests. We would welcome
contributions that would address any of the broad themes on which David focused:
1. Work organization, labor process, and macroeconomic performance. The
interrelationship between these issues is at the heart of David's
posthumously published work, Fat and Mean: The Corporate Squeeze of Working
Americans and the Myth of Managerial Downsizing, the book which David
considered to be his legacy. These themes also play a central role in much
of David's previous work, starting with his initial contributions on the
theory of labor market segmentation. We would therefore especially
encourage submissions in this area, and we expect that a high proportion of
the papers in our special issue will be concerned with these themes.
2. SSA-type macroeconomic models. David was one of the originators of the
"Social Structure of Accumulation" approach to analyzing U.S. macroeconomic
performance over the post World War II period (and indeed himself coined the
term). In developing this work, David explored the relationship between
profitability, investment, saving, distribution, and conflict. While many of
David's contributions in this area were technical econometric modelling
exercises, we would welcome a variety of approaches in addressing these
themes.
3. Long Waves of Capitalist Development. One of the ways that David
extended his SSA approach was to analyze the long-term trends of capitalist
development. David's focus here was primarily on the United States. But
the relevant questions logicall extend to considerations of European
development, and possibly further.
4. Urban Economics. David wrote some important early papers on urban
conditions in the U.S. He also published a widely-used reader, Problems in
Political Economy: An Urban Perspective which still is being used by people
teaching in the field. We would welcome contributions that revisit some of
the issues raised in David's early work in this area.
5. Econometrics and Political Economy. David was a pioneer in his use of
econometric methods to explore issues from a radical political economy
perspective. His efforts have led others to use econometric techniques to
test hypotheses developed by radical economic theory. Therefore, both
empirical studies that expand on David's approach and methodological papers
that consider the use of econometrics in radical political economy would be
appropriate for the special issue.
6. Progressive Economic Policy for the United States. David was
intensively involved in economic policy questions, both in his writings
and
in his work as an activist. Among other experiences, David was actively
involved in labor education efforts as well as the 1988 Jesse Jackson
Presidential campaign. Submissions in this area should address the
specific policy approaches David developed in his published work, though
they need not be confined exclusively to these.
The editorial collective welcomes all contributions, and will give no
special consideration to any individuals or groups in making publication
decisions. At the same time, we wish to especially encourage contributions
from the numerous students whose dissertations David supervised at the New
School, as well as from other New School students and colleagues who worked
closely with him.
Contributors should send submissions and queries to: Hazel Dayton Gunn,
Managing Editor, RRPE, Department of City and Regional Planning, 106 W.
Sibley Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853. Articles are due June
30, 1997, and must follow the Instructions to Contributors on the back cover
of the RRPE (also available from the Managing Editor). As early as
possible, we strongly encourage authors to inform us in writing of their
intention to submit, as this will help to coordinate timely publication of
the special issue. All submissions will be subject to the journal's usual
peer review procedure. All submissions are subject to RRPE's usual review
procedures and the June 30, 1997 deadline for submissions.
Robert Pollin
Department of Economics
U. of California-Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521-0427, USA
(909) 787-5037 ext. 1579 (office); (909) 788-8106 (home)
(909) 787-5685 (fax); Pollin@mail.ucr.edu (e-mail)