[OPE-L:7302] Re: Julius Sensat's notes on "Problems in Marxism"

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 15:59:15 EDT

Jerry,
thanks for Sensat's website. He wrote quite a perceptive essay on
methodological individualism in Philosophy and Economics. I think
Sensat's notes on Lukacs will prove helpful. Perhaps OPE-L'ers know
the work of Tom Rockmore on Lukacs *Irrationalism: Lukacs and the
Marxist View on Reason* (Temple, 1992); Rockmore has a new book out
as well *Marx after Marxism: The Philosophy of Karl Marx*. The Lukacs
books is really very good because it less an exegesis than a
comprehensive criticism of Lukacs' philosophical writings.

For he examines each premise in Lukacs' argument that the cognitive
status of so called bourgeois thought is limited as a result of the
incompatibility between the kind of rationality prevalent in modern
society and epistemological holism.

(1) There is a kind of thought typical of capitalism
(2)capitalist thought does not penetrate beyond the appearance ot the
essence of modern society
(3)this inability is not contigent, but constitutive of capitalist thought
(4)it follows from teh relation of thought to the organization of the
means of production
(5)within capitalism, rationality appears as rationalization,
cocnerned only with the maximization of profits
(6) when rationality takes the form of rationalizatio, it is unable
to grasp the whole
(7) a grasp of the whole is the condition of knowledge
(8)the inability to grasp the whole maintains the status quo ante and
impedes, even prevents social change.

p. 94-95
Then Rockmore subjects the argument to critical scrutiny.

It seems to me that the Lukacs book has been unduly ignored.
All the best, Rakesh