[OPE-L:2546] Re: class demarcation

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 08:44:22 EST

Nicola,

Your message is most interesting. Where do you place Charles van Onselen
and his book *Chibaro* which I thought was excellent? I understand he
followed a subsequent path which few of us would want to support, but
nevertheless. Also, wasn't there some good work on the "petit
bourgeoisie" in the black community under apartheid? Also, Fred Curtis
(but outside South Africa) had an long article in the RESEARCH, Volume 7,
1984, " 'Cheap' African Labor-Power and South African Capitalism:
1948-1978".

Actually, your whole comment bears directly on the issue of sectarianism.
If you were saying immediately post-Apartheid what you are saying now, you
would have been called "sectarian" and be dismissed.

On theory, Marx spent more than a decade focusing on theory, the decade
leading up to *Capital*. In fact, I think ~1850-~1868 should be pretty
accurate.

Paul

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka

nicola taylor <nmtaylor@carmen.murdoch.edu.au> said, on 03/18/00 at 04:50
AM: