[OPE-L:2738] Re: Summary of Sieber by Andrzej Walicki

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 22:30:43 EDT

Alejandro Ramos <aramos@btl.net> said, on 04/05/00 at 04:06 PM: >Paul,
>1. It's nice you have found Walicki's book! It seems it's the same
>Claudin mentions, right?

Yes.

>2. Does Walicki say something about Tugan-Baranowsky?

He only mentions T-B once (I far as I see) among a list of 'legal
Marxists', while mentioning Struve much more often, whom he says was for
the average Russian intellectual (the non-revolutionary) the founder of
Marxism in Russia, not Plekhanov (p. 436).

>3. I think Ziber position regarding the peculiar Russian economic
>situation (the importance of the rural community, etc.) doesn't coincide
>with Marx's in his famous letter to Vera Zasulich. I vaguely recall that
>Marx holds that the laws presented in Capital cannot be applied
>mechanically to the Russian situation, which seems to be Ziber point of
>view.

I wouldn't be prepared yet to say whether or not Sieber has a mechanical
point of view, but you are correct about Marx, if I remember correctly.

Paul Z.